Spinach is extremely versatile and is perfect with fish, poultry, cheese, pasta and mushrooms.
It makes a refreshing and hearty early season salad and mixes well with rocket or mizuna. Even the baby leaves are robust enough to wilt beautifully when combined with hot bacon, chorizo or grilled chicken or duck.
Warm Spring Salads
- For salads us only the small tender leaves.
- Wash, drain and place in the base of a flat dish – several handfuls per person.
- Fry slices of chorizo until the fat begins to run and they start to crisp around the edges
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and add a dash of sherry vinegar to the remaining oil.
- Add the chorizo and oil/vinegar dressing to the spinach leaves and toss to mix.
- Add a handful of cooked broad beans per person and season to taste.
- Replace the chorizo with bacon or pancetta and add poached eggs or softly boiled quail’s eggs.
- Use a combination of blue cheese and walnuts and make a light dressing using walnut oil and white wine vinegar for the spinach.
- Feta or a crumbly ewe’s milk cheese from the Yorkshire dales with slices of orange and a dressing made from orange juice and a mixture of olive and walnut oils.