These are American style muffins, easy and quick to make. They are a wonderful alternative to bread or scones with soup or a nibble with some good English farmhouse cheese. They freeze well and are delicious warm or cold.
- 150g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 spring onion or small shallot finely chopped
- large egg, lightly beaten
- 75ml milk
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Line a muffin tin with grease-proof paper, paper cases or lightly grease.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl, add the pepper and onion and stir well.
- Whisk the milk, oil, beaten egg and pesto together in a jug and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon into the muffin tins and bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Makes 5 very large muffins or 12 smaller versions, adjust the cooking time according to size.
- If the mixture is too stiff add a splash more milk, it should dollop off the spoon into the tins easily.