This is a very simple recipe and involves little more than gently poaching some dried fruit. You can omit the orange and cinnamon and it is still delicious. The choice of fruit is yours – you can add mango or sour cherries, raisins or apple rings and if you omit the prunes no one will know. It also make a rich winter desert – simply replacing half of the quantity of water with port or a rich dark sherry and serve with thick whipped cream or cinnamon ice cream.
- 110g (4oz) dried apricots
- 110g (4oz) dried figs, halved
- 110g (4oz) prunes
- 2 oranges – zest and juice
- Cinnamon stick – 1-2 inches
- Place the dried fruit,cinnamon stick orange juice and zest in a large pan and add enough water to cover the fruit.
- Simmer gently for about 15 minutes
- Cool and leave for at least 12 hours for the flavours to develop
- Serve with yoghurt